As promised I said this would be No Nonsense November where I will be giving you the real deal about entrepreneurship. It is important as a New Year approaches and you craft new goals that you be honest about your entrepreneurial journey. I know that when you scroll through your Facebook and Twitter feeds and longingly gaze at the images on Instagram of entrepreneurs who say they are making it big, raking in the dough, have no bills only wealth – you wonder, what is wrong with me?
The answer is NOTHING. The answer is that entrepreneurship is a journey and not an easy one at that. The myth of easy wealth through entrepreneurship is just that – it is a myth. No one posts the:
- Failed projects where they didn’t make a dime or even lost money on an idea they swore was the best
- The low bank balances, maxed out credit cards as they struggle to survive
- The moments of despair when they wonder if they should have left their jobs or feel resigned to giving up on their side hustle
Entrepreneurship is not a savior. In fact, as an entrepreneurship educator one of the most pervasive myths is that entrepreneurs are rich – some are and some hope to be – but entrepreneurship looks different to everyone. Your job this No Nonsense November is to be honest about:
- Your goals: If you want to be wealthy declare so. If you are happy being comfortable that is fine. If you only want work-life balance – that is what you want
- Now that you are honest then you must set tasks to move you towards that goal. For instance – if your goal is to be wealthy then you must invest time and when you can money, into your business – be single minded
- Accept that the journey to your goal is unpredictable, and not a straight path. The acceptance will allow you to emotionally manage your setbacks
It is time to get serious an adopt a No Nonsense and realistic attitude towards entrepreneurship.